Monday, March 09, 2009

WKT for curves?

The original spec for WKT (Well Known Text) geometries did not include (to my knowledge) support for 2D curveys, like circular arcs. I didn't realize that had changed, and the WKT spec now includes some limited support for 2D curves. You can see this paper for more information:

http://doesen0.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/proceedings/paper/68.pdf

This is cool, because I will need support for circular arcs in WKT if I am ever get around to working on a linear referencing (route stationing) application for flood control levees. I don't think will be seeing support for these curves in JTS anytime soon (because of the complexities that it introduces), but I wonder if we might find room for it in Geotools?

The Sunburned Surveyor

1 comments:

Biyuan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.