Thursday, June 14, 2007

Migrating to Subversion

I think that we may finally be doing it.

The JPP is migrating from Concurrent Version Control or CVS to Subversion, or SVN. I think the majority of our developers are now working with Subversion at their day jobs or on other projects and there now a lot more a comfortable with the change. The good news is using Subversion should be a lot more flexible, and we are going to gain a split in “stable” and “unstable” development. This will allow some more collaborative development of code without the worry of breaking things.

The bad news is the migration is a real pain in the neck. I’ve already made one attempt, which would have worked well until the other developers informed me that I had lost the CVS history. I’m now getting some help from Andreas at Lat/Lon, but I have to start from scratch to get it to work. I’m hoping that I can have it done by the end of the week.

The Sunburned Surveyor

0 comments: